Welp, I promised a little DIY – so here we go!
I scored this awesome lath board piece on an auction a while back. It came with a bunch of old windows, and I even considered throwing the piece out. I know, I know…what was I thinking? I have a serious, limited-storage issue so I have to choose my “I’m keeping this because of some super-amazing project I’ll do with it in one week, or one year, but I have no idea what that is right now” stash very wisely. Whew!
The use for this beaut came about quite quickly…score! I started by painting it bright white – which as you’ll see, was needed to stand out in front of my client’s brick mantle.
My client had given me a photo of some artwork she liked, which really inspired the clothesline and “love” concept. I started by cutting out the right size of “tag” from beige cardstock. Nothing technical here, just used scissors to cut until it was just perfect.
Then, I cut another piece of cardstock a little bit smaller, and used it as a guide to cut out the burlap.
For the letters, I simply chose a font that I liked and printed them out on computer paper. I chose four different scrapbooking papers for the letters, and used the computer paper letters I had cut out as stencils. Then I used hot glue to put all the pieces together.
I hot glued rope around the top corners [left & right] of the lath board, and one loose piece across the top.
I found some antique clothes pins on an auction as well [hooray for saving all of those finds!], and used them to attach the “letter tags” to the rope. I used the trusty hot glue gun to adhere everything… which is a huge time saver!
Here’s the beautiful piece on my client’s brick mantle. Gorgeous!
Can’t go wrong with custom, reasonable, thrifty, beautiful artwork!